Friday, January 10, 2014

Welcome To My Speech Room(s)

As a first year SLP I have heard horror stories about what schools consider usable speech rooms (tiny closets, sharing tiny rooms, or having no room at all to call your own).  Knowing that this a reality for some of y'all let me start off my stating how much I love my little shoe box of a room.  I am very lucky to have a room to call me own in my base school and rooms that we make work at my other two schools.  I figure I would take you on a little tour of my corner of the world...  "Keep you hands, arms, and legs inside the train at all times.  Hold on to your hats and glasses, cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" (an extra gold start sticker to anyone who knows where that is from). 

First up is my base school room.  This is where I spend Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  It's a tight squeeze, especially with my bigger groups, but we make it work.  I have materials hidden in every nook and cranny but I think I have finally figured out how to make my space work for me and my kiddos.  The game closet is everyone's favorite place and I would like to say it is usually more organized but let's be real, ain't nobody got time for that. 






On Tuesdays and Thursdays I travel between two schools... I share my room at my other elementary school with another SLP (we alternate days were are at school)... This room I had no role in decorating but it works for me and kiddos so I've got nothing to complain about, plus it has a SMARTboard... can't beat that!

I refer to my space at my middle school as the fishbowl/detention room.  It's pretty much just a space that all the different therapists can use when they work at the school.  My kids don't really care what the room looks like but spending that much time surrounded by 4 white walls and one window that all the kids look in as they pass can drive someone crazy.  But you know what, I really can't complain because I have a space I can see kiddos with limited distractions which is more than some can say. 

So there it is the grand tour, all in all I know I am very lucky SLP to have the spaces that I have.  Hope you enjoyed the tour.

SLP Natalie




No comments:

Post a Comment